How many species of fish do you think there are? One hundred, two hundred, five hundred? In fact, there are many thousands of known ones on our planet, and how many have not yet been discovered! Pisces are amazing creatures in their diversity, and they are extremely important to us. As for the Red Sea, it is inhabited by about one and a half thousand species of fish, but it is believed that this is not even half of the total number of fish. Many species are unique as they are found only in the Red Sea. There are some rather dangerous fish among them. But in this article, we have collected interesting facts about any species of fish that inhabit the numerous reservoirs of our planet.
• The largest fish in the world is the whale shark, whose weight can reach 20-25 tons and the length exceeds 17 meters. Fortunately, these fish are completely harmless.
• Fish-stone — the most poisonous of all. Its rough skin is covered with thorns with poison, which in most cases turns out to be fatal to unwary swimmers.
• Swordfish — the fastest in the world, it can swim at a breathtaking speed of 130 km per hour.
• The seahorse, despite its unusual appearance, is also a fish from the point of view of biology. By the way, the slowest fish — in an hour it swims about one and a half meters. In addition, the seahorse is the only fish that swims not horizontally, but vertically.
• Catfish — the record holder for the number of taste buds among all animals on our planet. He has as many as 27,000 of them.
• Sharks have no bones — only cartilage.
• A fish called mudskipper spends more time on land than in water. She knows how to get oxygen directly from the air, through the skin, and moves along the ground, relying on fins.
• Most women’s lipsticks contain fish scales.
• An electric eel is capable of killing even such a large animal as a horse with one shock.
• People began to fish at the dawn of human civilization. The oldest fishing hook found by archaeologists was made over 42,000 years ago!
• Flying fish can slide on the surface of the water, pushing off from it, for hundreds of meters, jumping 5-6 meters into the air.
• Most fish cannot swim backwards.
• Hammerhead sharks live in flocks of up to 500 individuals each. Such a flock devours everything in its path.
• Predatory white sharks often fall prey to killer whales.
• Currently, there are about 32,000 different fish species on Earth, and new ones are regularly found.
• Sunfish lays up to 300,000,000 eggs annually.
• The oldest fish living on Earth is the coelacanth.
• Black gulper, living at considerable depths, is able to swallow prey, the weight of which exceeds its own ten times.
• Archerfish accurately spits water streams at insects flying over it. Having fallen into the water, these insects go to the archerfish for lunch.
• Many fish species are color-discriminating.
For any questions regarding the choice of EXCURSIONS from Hurghada, you can always consult with our specialists who have relevant information and will help you make the right choice
+20 106 930 3640 Contact us
Skype: Hurghada RedSeaLine